Many of us suffer from Yellow nails. Yellow nails are caused either due to-
1. Wearing dark nail polish without wearing a clear base coat.(Red, burgundy, and brown-based polishes contain dark pigments that can leave behind a yellow stain on nails.)
2. Fungal infection, chronic liver disease, excessive smoking and poor lifestyle habits.
Here are some very effective home remedies for treating Yellow nails
Lemon is a natural bleaching agent that helps reduce yellow stains.
- Fill a bowl with lemon juice
- Soak stained nails for 10-15 minutes
- Use a toothbrush and gently scrub the yellow discoloration
- Rinse hands with Luke warm water
- Apply a hand cream
- Do this twice daily until you see a visible difference
Hydrogen peroxide has whitening properties that work wonders for your nails. A note of caution: Be sure to use a solution that is only 3 percent hydrogen peroxide.
- Pour three to four tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide into one-half cup of water and mix them well. Soak your nails in the solution for two minutes. Using a soft toothbrush, gently scrub your nails. Then rinse them with water. Do this once a week for several months.
- For stubborn stains, apply the hydrogen peroxide directly on your nails and lightly scrub them with a soft toothbrush.
- Massage both cuticles and nails with a cuticle oil that contains vitamin E. Wait two minutes, then completely remove the oil with a non-acetone polish remover.
*Hydrogen peroxide can dehydrate your nails, so apply a moisturizing lotion after using this remedy.
Toothpaste can be used to cure yellow nails.
- Apply a small coat of whitening toothpaste on your nails. Leave it on for five to 10 minutes.
- Using a nail brush, scrub your nails gently.
- Wash the toothpaste off with cotton balls soaked in lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process two or three times per week for a month.